Monday, September 10, 2007

In the beginning

I believe that nothing is more frightening than the blank page. You can put any line, any word, any color down. Whatever that first mark is sets the tone for whatever will follow. You can erase it, color over it, tear it up and start anew, but it is too late. You can never go back to the beginning and start fresh.

This is the nature of life. We convince ourselves that life is full of the potential of new beginnings, but that's not really possible. Everything we do is affected by what we did before.

We can only strive to be clear in the actions we make moving forward.

1 comment:

bodhistate said...

I feel compelled to mention where the idea of the blank page comes from. It is from a book called "Cages" by Dave McKean. Okay, it is a comic book, but one full of some quite interesting philosophical, intellectual, and psychological ideas. If I can, I will put up the relevant page. I think he phrases it much better than I did.