Monday, March 17, 2008

Confliction

One of the hardest positions I maintain is being pro-choice and pro-life at the same time. I hate, hate, reading about women having abortions, at seeing the pictures, of knowing that a little person was extinguished before it even had a chance to get started. (I really don't like hearing about kids, any age, dying). Ideally the reasons for abortions could be solved, but that will never happen. For some, abortion is a form of conception control (why do we call the pill and condoms "birth control"?), to be used as easily as a condom. Makes me burn.

And yet.

I know others do not hold my beliefs. I know that others have desperate need for access to abortions. I know that I should not pass judgement on them for their choices, any more than I would want them to pass judgement on mine. I know that they must decide what is appropriate for their own life. I know punishing them after the fact would do nothing (it would not bring the baby back), and could likely compound whatever pain they are already in. I know I can not make the choice for so many others.

And yet.

No comments: